Breaking News

Rochester man gets place in shelter after losing home to fire

Rochester man gets place in shelter after losing home to fire

ROCHESTER — When Robert Skinner lost everything in an apartment fire, he had no idea how much kindness there was among strangers.

On Saturday, Skinner went back to his old apartment, looking to see what might be salvaged. He didn’t find a lot.

“I will be going to the Strafford County homeless shelter tonight,” Skinner said. ‘They are going to give me a room until at least May. Hopefully that gives me time to find an apartment.”

Robert Skinner lost everything, including his two beloved cats in a fire at his apartment Thursday, Jan. 27, 2022, in Rochester.

A spokesperson for the shelter confirmed they had a room waiting for Skinner. 

Job fair at Rochester Police Department:Openings aren’t limited to officers

Skinner was working, at Chipotle Mexican Grill, one of his three jobs, when he learned his second-floor apartment at 2 Central Ave. was on fire Thursday, Jan. 27. He raced home to learn all his belongings were destroyed, and his two cats, Hootie and Blue, had died. 

https://www.fosters.com/story/news/local/2022/02/15/rochester-nh-robert-skinner-fire/6722857001/